[Infovis] visual analytics and privacy: request for opinions / information / collaboration

Andrienko gennady.andrienko at iais.fraunhofer.de
Mon Nov 16 16:16:00 CET 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am addressing you as experts in visualization and visual analytics.
I want to know your opinion concerning the possible impacts of visual
analytics on personal privacy.
On the one hand, results of visual analytics may affect privacy.
On the other hand, visual analytics methods might help to transform
data in such a way that privacy is protected but important patterns
still can be detected.

I am coordinating a working group on this topic within a EU-funded
coordination action MODAP - "Mobility, Data Mining, and Privacy"
http://modap.org/
The goal of the project is to raise the awareness about privacy issues
in visual analytics, shape the community, and define a research agenda.
So far, the privacy issues have been addressed mostly by data mining
and, to some extent, GIS researchers.
Please inform me about any publications / projects / people working on
privacy AND visualization.

In 2010 we are going to organize an expert workshop on this topic and
have a possibility to invite keynote speakers.
I would appreciate your candidate recommendations.

Please also leave me a note even if you did not work on privacy issues
of visualization yet but are interested in this topic.

Best regards,
  Gennady Andrienko
Fraunhofer Institute IAIS: http://www.iais.fraunhofer.de
ICA GeoVisualization Commission: http://geoanalytics.net/ica