[Infovis] 1st CFP: ACM CHIMIT '10 - HCI for IT Management

Eben Haber eben at HABER.NET
Wed Mar 24 21:02:47 CET 2010

*Apologies for cross-postings*

2010 ACM Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction for the Management of
Information Technology (CHIMIT '10) http://chimit10.org

November 12-13, 2010
San Jose, CA USA

Co-located with the 24th USENIX Large Installation System
Administration Conference (LISA '10)
http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa10/

---------1st CALL FOR PAPERS (3 months to deadline)--------------

Since 2007, CHIMIT has been the leading forum for discussing topics on
IT management with a focus on people, business, and technology. At
CHIMIT, researchers and practitioners share issues, solutions, and
research drawing upon fields such as human-computer interaction, human
factors, collaborative work, computer systems, and management and
service sciences to address cognitive, social, and technical issues in
managing the increasing complexity of modern Information Technology
(IT) systems.

Information Technology (IT) is central to modern life. From our homes
to our largest enterprises, we are surrounded by software and hardware
components that support our work and personal lives: wireless access
points, network routers, firewalls, virus scanners, databases, web
servers, storage and backup systems, etc. These components exist to
permit us to do other things, e.g., manage inventory, communicate with
friends or customers, sell products through websites, yet all too
often managing the underlying IT infrastructure takes time and
resources away from the real work at hand. IT systems have grown
increasingly complex over the years, and the cost for keeping the
infrastructure running is now a significant burden. We are at a
turning point where further advances in technology and business
efficiency and growth require fundamentally new approaches to IT
system design, management, and services.

CHIMIT is an ACM-sponsored conference, and accepted Paper and Short
Paper submissions will be archived in the ACM Digital Library. We are
also soliciting submissions for Panels, Courses, and a non-archival
Poster Session for work in progress.

Suggested Topics
==============
- User Studies of IT infrastructure management in context, exposing
user needs, pain points, work practices, and examples of both
successful and unsuccessful work.

- Design - approaches to bring about improved, human-centered IT systems.

- Experimental Studies on the usage of new or existing IT systems.

- Tools and Techniques for improved administration, e.g.,
visualizations of system behavior, or collaborative interfaces.

- Automation approaches to reduce administration workload or improve productivity.

- Computer supported cooperative work ˆ how do those who manage an
organization‚s IT interact with the users they support, their
technical community, and other stakeholders?

- Organizational Knowledge - how can shared knowledge improve IT management.

- Processes and Practices - examples of best practices and improved
processes in IT management.

- New Technologies - how will the changing technological landscape
(e.g., Cloud Computing, pervasive mobile devices, etc.) affect IT management?

- IT Beyond the Enterprise - what are the implications now that we're
doing backups, network configuration, etc. in the home?

Submission Guidelines
==================
Papers should be submitted in English. Instructions for authors are
available at http://chimit10.org/submission.html

CHIMIT '10 is accepting Papers and Short Papers, as well as
non-archival Posters, Courses, and Panels.

Important Dates
============
Paper submission deadline: July 3, 2010
Panels and Courses due: August 7, 2010
Notification of acceptance: August 30, 2010
Posters due: September 10, 2010
Poster selections announced: September 26, 2010

CHIMIT Committee
===============
General Chairs
---------------------
Nicole Forsgren Velasquez, Pepperdine University
Adam Moskowitz

Program Chairs
Tamara Babaian, Bentley University
Konstantin Beznosov, UBC

Steering Committee
David Blank-Edelman, Northeastern University
Ken Chizinsky, Cisco
Narayan Desai, Argonne National Labs
Andrew Hume, AT&T Labs Research
Thomas A. Limoncelli, Google NYC