[Infovis] CFP: IEEE CG&A Special Issue on Extreme Scale Visual Analytics

Wong, Pak C Pak.Wong at pnnl.gov
Sat Oct 8 03:00:06 CEST 2011

+ + +  Submission Deadline: 12 November 2011 + + +

Call for Papers

Extreme Scale Visual Analytics
For IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications' Jul/Aug 2012 issue

Submissions due: 12 November 2011

In 2004, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications (CG&A) featured
a special issue on the then-new research area of visual
analytics. Now, we seek articles examining advances related to
extreme-scale visual analytics problems, their analytical and
computational challenges, and their real-world applications. By
extreme-scale data, we mean both scientific and nonscientific
data that today consumes hundreds of terabytes and will scale to
exabytes in the next few years.

Although exabyte use might seem exaggerated for any practical
purposes, it's indeed only a thousand times more than what we
see and work with every day. At Supercomputing 2010, an Intel
engineer told the audience that the current 48-core processor
could theoretically scale to 1,000 cores. Among the challenges
will be how we utilize the newly acquired hardware or processing
power to address the extreme-scale data problem. We believe that
visual analytics will play a critical role in meeting the
challenges and that we must start looking into the problem now.

We're particularly interested in today's technologies that can
theoretically scale to analyze tomorrow's extreme-scale data.
Topics of interest include (but aren't limited to)
  *  scalable visual analytics techniques,
  *  parallel visual analytics techniques,
  *  uncertainty in visual analytics,
  *  high-performance visual analytics algorithms, and
  *  scalable visual analytics architectures.

We're also interested in the following core areas of visual
analytics, as applied to extreme-scale datasets:
  *  visual representations and interaction techniques;
  *  data management and knowledge representation;
  *  analytical reasoning;
  *  presentation, production, and dissemination methods;
  *  evaluation methods, interoperability, and technology
     practice and experience; and
  *  mathematical foundations.

Articles should be no more than eight magazine pages, where a
page is 800 words and a quarter-page image counts as 200 words.
Cite only the 12 most relevant references, and consider
providing technical background in sidebars for nonexpert
readers. Color images are preferable and should be limited to
10. Visit CG&A style and length guidelines at
www.computer.org/cga/author.htm.

Please submit your article using our online manuscript
submission service at https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/cs-ieee.
When uploading your article, select the appropriate special-
issue title under the category "Manuscript Type." Also include
complete contact information for all authors. If you have any
questions about submitting your article, contact the peer-review
coordinator at cga-ma at computer.org.

Please direct any other correspondence before submission to the
guest editors:

  *  Pak Chung Wong, pak.wong at pnnl.gov
  *  Valerio Pascucci, pascucci at sci.utah.edu
  *  Han-Wei Shen, hwshen at cse.ohio-state.edu