[Infovis] BELIV 2014 Workshop: Extend paper deadline to July 7, 2014

Heidi Lam heidi.lam at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 19:37:04 CEST 2014

BELIV 2014, Nov. 10, Paris, France
co-located with IEEE VIS 2014

http://beliv.org

*JULY 7, 2014: EXTENDED PAPER DEADLINE*

CALL FOR PAPERS (RESEARCH & POSITION)

We invite you to contribute to BELIV 2014, the international workshop on
evaluation in visualization.

Even though established scientific methods like controlled experiments and
standard metrics like time and error continue to be the workhorse of
evaluation in visualization, there is a growing need in the community to
develop special approaches and metrics for evaluation at all stages of the
development life cycle that address specific needs in visualization.  The
goal of the workshop is to continue the discussion and spread the word on
alternative and novel evaluation methods and methodologies for
visualization.

Paper Types

We accept two types of submissions—research papers and position papers. The
workshop focuses on contributions from all areas of visualization,
including visual analytics, information visualization, and scientific
visualization.

*Research papers* aim to make progress toward novel evaluation methods in
visualization and to discuss their benefits and limitations compared to
traditional methodologies. As in past editions of BELIV, we will not accept
papers that merely report on the evaluation of a system or technique unless
the focus of the contribution is on lessons learned about applying a novel
evaluation method or methodology and new insights on the evaluation itself
are presented.  Research papers present new work and unpublished results on
the topic areas of the workshop. Research papers will be selected according
to their novelty, quality, and relevance.

*Position papers* are problem discussions or statements describing the
author's relevant experience and ideas in regards to evaluation methods and
methodologies for visualization. Position papers will be selected according
to their importance and relevance for the workshop topics and how well they
will fit the planned discussions.

Both types of papers can be up to eight pages long but the length of a
submission needs to correspond to its contribution. All papers will be
peer-reviewed by members of the program committee as well as the organizers.

We are currently working on making sure that we will be able to publish all
accepted papers in the ACM digital library including the assignment of DOIs
to the papers. We also plan to invite a selected subset of the papers to
contribute to a special issue in a major visualization journal venue such
as the Information Visualization Journal.

Important Dates

June 30, 2014: Paper submission due
Aug 1, 2014: First notification
Sept 1, 2014: Revisions due
Sept 15, 2014: Final notification
Nov 10, 2014: BELIV workshop (1-day)

Submission

To submit a paper create an account and submit the paper to the submission
system at: https://cmt.research.microsoft.com/BELIV2014/. Please clarify
whether you are submitting a position or research paper.

For additional questions, email the organizers at beliv.workshop at gmail.com

Format

All the submissions should be formatted in the ACM style. Suitable
templates, in LaTeX and Word, can be downloaded from:
http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates.  The
submission, however, must be made in PDF format.

Topics of Interest

Topics include, but are not limited to:
Evaluation in the visualization development lifecycle,
Utility characterization,
Evaluation metrics,
Insight characterization,
Synthetic data sets and benchmarks,
Taxonomy of tasks,
Computational evaluation,
Benchmark development and repositories,
Methods for longitudinal studies and adoption,
Evaluation of early prototypes,
Evaluation heuristics and guidelines, and
Reflections on evaluation practice in visualization in the past, present,
and future.

Topics of Non-Interest

Evaluation results of a visualization system or technique

Organizers:

Heidi Lam, Google
Petra Isenberg, INRIA
Tobias Isenberg, INRIA
Michael Sedlmair, University of Vienna

Papers from previous BELIVs

For past BELIV workshops and papers see these links:

BELIV 2006: published in the ACM DL <http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1168149>

BELIV 2008: published in the ACM DL <http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1377966>

BELIV 2010: published in the ACM DL <http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2110192>
BELIV 2012: published in the ACM DL <http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2442576>