[Infovis] Session on Communication of Uncertain Information at EGU 2016

Torsten Möller torsten.moeller at univie.ac.at
Sat Nov 28 09:29:20 CET 2015

European Geosciences Union annual assembly  Vienna | Austria | 17–22 April
2016.

Communication of uncertain information in earth sciences: data, models and
visualization

Information in the earth sciences is supplied to many end users, including
regulators, policy makers and the general public.  It is important that these
end users understand the uncertainties in information so that they can make
robust decisions.  Much effort has been put into quantitative methods to
describe the uncertainty in environmental information, but the outputs these
generate (probabilities, confidence intervals etc.) are not always understood
by the end user.  Effective communication of uncertain information is an
important challenge, and one which must be tackled collaboratively by earth
scientists, statisticians, psychologists and others.  In 2015 there was a
successful session held at EGU to bring together scientists with a range of
backgrounds to consider these issues. We believe that the area remains a lively
and important one, and want to continue the discussion.  We therefore invite
you to consider submitting an abstract to the session.

Abstracts by 13 Jan 2016, 13:00 CET at http://www.egu2016.eu/
see also http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2016/session/20482