[Infovis] Research Associate for Interactive Visualization of "Big Data"

Jetter Hans-Christian Hans-Christian.Jetter at fh-hagenberg.at
Thu Sep 29 10:07:56 CEST 2016

Job Title: Research Associate for Interactive Visualization of "Big Data"
Institute: University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, Campus Hagenberg
Hours: Full-time or part-time
Supervisor: Dr. Hans-Christian Jetter (see http://jetter-it.de)
Start Date: Dec, 1st 2016 or soon thereafter (please apply until Oct 17th, 2016 for full consideration)
Salary: Monthly salary starts at EURO 2,646.13. There is an additional 13th and 14th salary. Depending on your qualification (e.g. PhD or job experience), entry salary might be higher.

I am looking for new team members (PhD students, postdocs, research scientists ...) who are interested in interaction design and user-centered visualization and would like to join my project group USIVIS (User-Centered Interactive Visualisation of Big Data) as full-time or part-time research associates.

We will work together with our colleagues from the School of Management (Campus Steyr) and different industry partners to design, prototype, and evaluate the next generation of interactive visualizations for "Big Data". Our goal is to provide our industry partners with novel designs and prototypes and to publish our results at conferences such as CHI, InfoVis, ISS, or similar. The project has a total volume of 0.94 Mio Euros and is funded by the Austrian FFG for 4 years. More information about the position and project at http://jetter-it.de/jetter/team-members-usivis/

Key facts and responsibilities:
- your qualification: Master's degree or doctorate in computer science, information visualization, interaction design, human-computer interaction or similar (previous research experience or doctorate are a plus)
- design and prototyping of novel interactive visualizations of "Big Data" using HTML5 / JavaScript / d3 / Meteor / ...
- prototyping for post-desktop systems such as multi-tablet visualizations and Microsoft Surface Hub 84"
- supporting user studies and analysing their results for publication at international conferences

With 5,400 students the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria ("FH Oberösterreich") is the largest university of applied sciences in Austria. It Is also the most successful in terms of research funding and considered one of the leading Austrian institutions for applied research. The university has four locations in and around the city of Linz (pop. 200,000) which is the regional capital of Austria's industrial heartland and close to scenic regions and nature reserves in the Alps, Bavarian Forest, and Bohemian Forest. The campus in Hagenberg ("FH Hagenberg") is home to the School of Informatics, Communications and Media with many activities in the fields of human-computer interaction, software engineering, and interactive systems including the new Master degree program "Human-centered Computing".

If you have any questions about the positions or would like to apply, please do not hesitate to contact me at hans-christian.jetter at fh-hagenberg.at<mailto:hans-christian.jetter at fh-hagenberg.at>
Please apply by email until Oct 17th, 2016 for full consideration. Unfortunately, costs arising from applications cannot be reimbursed.

Best regards,
Christian

--
Dr. Hans-Christian Jetter (M.Sc., B.Sc.)
Professor of User Experience and Interaction Design