[Infovis] ACM Eye Tracking Research & Applications Symposium 2019 - Call for Video & Demo Submission

Fabian Deitelhoff Fabian.Deitelhoff at fh-dortmund.de
Tue Feb 26 11:42:59 CET 2019

ACM EYE TRACKING RESEARCH & APPLICATIONS SYMPOSIUM 2019 CALL FOR VIDEO &
DEMO SUBMISSIONS

Have a gaze interaction technique to share? Or want to show off how your new
eye tracking method works? At ETRA 2019, we again have a Video and Demo
Track where researchers give demonstrations of their research or show videos
of their work. We encourage new and exciting ideas that may not yet be fully
tested. To take part in this session, we request an extended abstract (2
pages + 1 additional page for references) to be submitted.

If a full or short paper has been accepted to the conference, you will have
the option of presenting a video or demo of your work without the need for
submitting the extended abstract. See below on how to submit.

IMPORTANT DATES (Time Zone: AoE)

Demo/Video

Mar 8, 2019	Authors: Extended abstracts due

Mar 15, 2019 	Feedback: Notifications due to authors

Mar 22, 2019	Authors: Camera ready papers due

SUBMISSION TO THE VIDEO & DEMO TRACK

To submit to the Video & Demo Track, you need to prepare an extended
abstract (2 pages + 1 additional page for references), along with a video
submission. For demos we also require a video showing the demonstration.
Note: this video will be used for reviewing purposes - only videos accepted
in the Video Track will be played at the conference, however, Demo
submissions might be moved to the Video Track in case they lack
demonstrability.
Detailed instructions are available below. In case you have a full or short
paper accepted and would like to present a video or demo related to the
paper, please enter the accepted paper number into the submission form. The
extended abstract will be part of the ETRA 2019 proceedings. Copyright of
the work will be held by the authors, which means that the extended abstract
(2 pages + 1 additional page for references) will not be regarded as a
previous publication when submitting a longer version of the paper to a
journal or conference.

A good extended abstract should:
Fall under the topics mentioned for the ETRA 2019 conference.
Motivate the use cases of the work.
Describe the novelty of the tool/method and how it relates to other work.
Describe any inner workings of the tool/method as necessary.
Describe experiences gained in developing the tool/method.

ABSTRACT PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS

Abstracts should be 2 pages + 1 additional page for references in length and
should follow preparation instructions found at:
http://www.siggraph.org/learn/instructions-authors. To prepare the content
of the PDF file, SIGGRAPH encourages authors to use LaTeX.

When generating the PDF file, please make sure that the fonts are embedded
in the PDF file. This will ensure that reviewers can view the paper without
problems. The submitted abstracts do not have to be anonymized for peer
review. In addition to the extended abstract, you will be asked to submit
either a video or a demo description with a video as stated below.

VIDEO PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS

The video should depict your technology in action and we encourage
researchers to explain in the video a) the motivation for their work, b) the
specific problem being addressed, and c) the demonstrated solution to the
problem. Note that the video should be self-explaining, no in-person
explanation of the videos should be necessary at the conference. We highly
encourage videos to include an audio track and discourage the use of
background audio or music. If you feel uncomfortable recording your own
voice, check the web for a text-to-speech tool to generate your audio
commentary. The video should include a title slide with the title of the
work, authors, affiliations, etc. at the start of the video.

A submitted video should have a maximum length of 5 minutes and should not
be larger than 100 MB. We recommend using MP4 format with H.264 codec and a
resolution of 1280 x 720 px, at 24 to 30 frames/s. Most video production
systems can encode in this format and most video applications are able to
play it. If you use a different codec, you risk that reviewers might not be
able to view the video clip and you will need to re-encode the video clip
for the conference proceeding USB. The video should play in the VLC media
player version 3.0 (freely available at http://www.videolan.org/vlc) without
additional software, codecs or settings.

For a longer guideline of how to make good videos for conference submission,
please see the UIST video guidelines.

For more details visit: http://etra.acm.org/2019/demovid.html

with best regards,

Tanja Blascheck and Fabian Deitelhoff