[Infovis] We are hiring two Assistant Professors Geo-Visualization – University of Twente, Netherlands

Yuri Engelhardt yuri.engelhardt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 19:57:15 CET 2019

> In case that you can think of someone who may be interested in one of these positions, please do pass this on to them.

Do you have a PhD and expertise in
visual analytics?
web mapping?
dashboards?
3D / VR / AR visualization?

Are you interested in working on societal problems characterized by
changes in space and time?

Join us at the University of Twente (The Netherlands)!
We are hiring TWO Assistant Professors Geo-Visualization:
https://www.utwente.nl/en/organization/careers/!/768382/two-assistant-professors-geo-visualization

JOB DESCRIPTION

You will conduct international high-quality research and contribute to
developing the departmental research portfolio. You will teach Masters
level coursework and supervise MSc theses in the various (joint)
educational programmes the department is involved in, including the
international MSc Cartography. You will also contribute to the
development of new courses including face-to-face, blended learning,
and distance learning, preferably based on open source solutions.

You will play a leading role in our visualization and usability
laboratories ( https://www.itc.nl/research/research-facilities/labs-resources/visualization-usability-lab/
) and will supervise PhD students in combination with a departmental
professor. You will engage in the acquisition and implementation of
consulting tasks for the department. You will also undertake
management and administration tasks, such as coordination tasks in
educational programmes. You will acquire and/or participate in new
research, educational and capacity building projects.

YOUR PROFILE

> You possess a PhD in cartography, visualization or geographic information sciences or related fields.
> You have proven expertise in at least one of the following geo-visualization domains: visual analytics, interactive dashboards, web mapping, 3D or augmented or virtual reality, use, user & usability research.
> You have an excellent publication record in the above domains or application areas.
> You have a proven track record of working with different geo-computational tools, and have sufficient knowledge of scripting languages to move your research beyond the limits of common-off-the-shelf geovisual analytical software. Knowledge of multiple user research methods and techniques an advantage.
> You are a team player able to combine and extend the current knowledge and know-how on the three core departmental domains.
> You have an aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level. If you do not have it yet, you will have to acquire a University Teaching Qualification within the first two years.
> You have an affinity with a multi-cultural, post-graduate education environment.
> You have a willingness to undertake international travel to less developed countries.
> You will have an excellent command of English. Knowledge of, or willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage.

INFORMATION AND APPLICATION

Do you have any questions?
Additional information regarding these positions can be obtained from
Prof. Dr. M.J. Kraak (
https://icaci.org/executive-committee/menno-jan-kraak/ ) at:
e-mail: m.j.kraak at utwente.nl
phone: +31 53 4874463

Please submit your application here:
https://www.utwente.nl/en/organization/careers/!/768382/two-assistant-professors-geo-visualization/apply
– before 1 April 2019 – that same application link is also accessible
from the bottom of the official vacancy page:
https://www.utwente.nl/en/organization/careers/!/768382/two-assistant-professors-geo-visualization

Your application has to include (i) a motivation letter clearly
stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your
research and teaching interests, (ii) a detailed CV with references
and (iii) a two-page statement on your vision on research, education
and capacity development in relation to ITC, and the position.
Applications that do not include all three will not be considered.

OUR OFFER

> We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for two years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility.
> Gross monthly salary between € 3637,- and € 5.656,- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Assistant Professor level 1 or 2).
> A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
> Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
> A solid pension scheme
> Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave

THE ORGANIZATION

The University of Twente ( https://www.utwente.nl/en/ ). We stand for
life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and
research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation
and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus
university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide
more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on
personal development and talented researchers are given scope for
carrying out groundbreaking research.

We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our
company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color,
national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or
disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly
support women to apply.

The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) (
https://www.itc.nl/ ) of the University of Twente provides
international postgraduate education, research and project services in
the field of geo-information science and earth observation using
remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC's activities is the
international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and
institutional development in developing countries and emerging
economies.

The Department of Geo-Information Processing (GIP) is a vibrant and
multi-disciplinary team that develops methods and techniques to
produce actionable geo-information. Our work supports knowledge
generation and decision-making for societal problems characterized by
changes in space and time. You may want to look at some current
projects that our MSc students are working on:
https://gip.itc.utwente.nl/default/research/msctopics/geovis

Any sharing and distribution of / publicity for these two vacancies,
linking to the vacancies page:
https://www.utwente.nl/en/organization/careers/!/768382/two-assistant-professors-geo-visualization
– also on social media – is appreciated.