[Infovis] Research Associate in Tools for Digital Storytelling [Fixed term, 2 years]

Jonathan Hook jonathan.hook at york.ac.uk
Thu Sep 12 13:01:01 CEST 2019

Research Associate in Tools for Digital Storytelling [Fixed term, 2 years]

- Contact status: 2 years, fixed term
- Salary: £32,817 to £40,322 a year
- Closing date: 3rd October 2019
- Enquiries: enquiries at digitalcreativity.ac.uk <mailto:enquiries at digitalcreativity.ac.uk>
- Find out more and apply: bit.ly/digi-story-tools <http://bit.ly/digi-story-tools>

We seek an outstanding researcher, preferably with a computing background and an appetite to develop an interdisciplinary research profile focused on interactive and responsive digital storytelling. You will have a record of research output and collaboration that points to great potential for world-leading research in interactive/immersive storytelling. You will work in the Digital Creativity (DC) Labs, a world centre of excellence for impact-driven research in digital creativity, focusing on digital games, interactive media and the rich space where they converge. You will be part of a team of interdisciplinary researchers and academics from Computer Science, Theatre, Film, Television and Interactive Media, Archaeology, Sociology, Electronics, Education and Psychology, supported by software developers and management and administrative staff. We have an impressive user base of over one hundred non-academic partners with whom we co-create world class research.

== Role ==

In your role you will have two core responsibilities: you will drive the development of authoring tools for interactive and responsive video storytelling and will assist content creators in using these tools to imagine and develop new story forms and formats. You will build on our existing Object-Based Media authoring toolkit which was developed in partnership with BBC R&D and will have access to a rich base of content creation companies via XR Stories, our centre for R&D in new forms of interactive and immersive storytelling. XR Stories also provides funding for both academia and industry that you will have access to. You will be expected to identify and formulate research questions from the perspective of storytelling, authoring processes and/or technology, use appropriate research techniques and methods to address them, and publish in high quality venues. You are also expected to contribute to public engagement and outreach activities and undertake appropriate organisational, administrative and teaching activities.

== Skills, Experience & Qualifications needed ==

You will have a PhD in an area related to digital storytelling or equivalent experience, a good record of high-quality scientific publications, and bring an appetite for innovation and learning across discipline boundaries and application domains. You will have knowledge in an area related to digital storytelling and of a range of research techniques and methodologies applicable to this field. You will have good programming skills for prototype development (preferably HTML5 and JavaScript) and a passion for storytelling craft. You will have the ability to capture ideas from domain experts and stakeholders and translate them into research questions, and undertake rapid prototyping (with help from software engineers) to deliver concepts quickly and efficiently. You will have highly developed communication and publication skills. You will bring experience of carrying out independent and collaborative research. You will be a team player with a collaborative approach. You will have the opportunity to develop your career by engaging (with appropriate training and mentorship) in the process of writing research grant applications as well as research management/supervision/teaching. DC Labs works closely with the Intelligent Games and Game Intelligence (IGGI) Centre for Doctoral Training providing an excellent opportunity for you to work with highly motivated research students.

The University is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, staff engagement forums, campus facilities and services to support staff from different backgrounds. #EqualityatYork.