[Infovis] DATA VISUALIZATION CAREERS PROJECT

Byrd, Vetria L vlbyrd at purdue.edu
Thu Sep 26 15:00:52 CEST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

I hope this email finds you doing well and having a productive semester. This semester I am teaching a new class, Topics in  Data Visualization, to students who are participating in a campus wide Data Mine Initiative here at Purdue. Students are from various majors, but are interested in data visualization. The class meets once a week. Some of the students have not chosen a major yet, so I see this as an opportunity to encourage them to consider majoring in Data Visualization (my department offers an undergraduate degree in data visualization)  and for those who have already chosen a major to become more knowledgeable about data visualization careers. One of the assignments is to identify and interview someone in the data visualization field and/or someone who's job/career requires data visualization skills or data visualization is a key component of their duties.

I see this as a great opportunity for students from a broad array of backgrounds to connect with persons in the data visualization field who could provide some insight on their work experience, the benefits and value of data visualization in today's data driven world. I am writing to see if there are any persons on this list (or know of someone in the field) willing to give a student 10 minutes of their time for a one-on-one interview to ask you about your job. The questions will be predetermined and made available before the interview. The interview will be scheduled at a time that is most convenient for you. I have reached out to a number of colleagues from a broad range of disciplines so that students will have a diverse pool to choose from. I would like to ensure the pool is diverse in terms of occupation, discipline and gender.

Students are working to complete interviews by October 10, 2019. If you are willing and if your schedule will permit 10 minutes of your time to talk with one of the students from the class please complete the enclosed 3 minute survey and I will reach out to you in a separate email to coordinate an interview time and platforms (phone, WebEx, Zoom, Skype, etc.). Thank you in advance for your willingness to broaden participation and interests in data visualization.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Data Visualization Careers Project: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2JBN9KT

Sincerely,

~ Vetria

Vetria L. Byrd, PhD
Assistant Professor, Computer Graphics Technology
Director, Byrd Vis Lab KNOY 373
Office: KNOY 371
Purdue Polytechnic Institute
Email: vlbyrd at purdue.edu<mailto:vlbyrd at purdue.edu>
Office Phone: (765) 494-6335
Free Conference Call Line:  (712) 770-4632

2019 Co-Vice Chair, Gordon Research Conference
Visualization in Science and Education
https://www.grc.org/visualization-in-science-and-education-conference/2019/

BPViz: Bienninal Broadening Partcipation in Visualization Workshop
Founder and Organizer
@BPViz