[Infovis] new book - The Map Reader

martin dodge ucfnmad at ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 10 22:53:09 CEST 2011

Hello

Please excuse this bit of self-promotion but I just wanted to flag a new
book I've co-edited that is about to be published by Wiley. I thought the
The Map Reader might be of relevance to some of the people on this list.

The volume excerpts over 50 key pieces of scholarly writing on
cartographic representation and mapping practice from the last
few decades, along with five new interpretative essays. It has been
co-edited with Rob Kitchin and Chris Perkins.

This pdf gives some more detail on The Map Reader, with the table of
contents listing the extensive range of material included, our
preface explaining the purpose of the book and the first interpretative
essay,
http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/m.dodge/Map_Reader_promotional.pdf

Details are also given on the Wiley promotional webpage,
http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470742836.html

Also, through the Wiley e-book library service you can look at the six
colour plates in the book for free (although they are large pdf files, so
quite slow to download)
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/book/10.1002/9780470979587

And of course it can be ordered from bookshops, including Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Map-Reader-Theories-Cartographic-Representation/dp/04707
42836

While we appreciate its an expensive academic book and likely beyond an
impulse individual purchase, it is a nicely produced hardback volume
that we hope will find a role as a valuable reference and source of ideas
for researchers and students.

Many thanks

cheers
Martin